Skip to main content

Where's the Black Cloud

I have a lot to be thankful for in life. As it is important to let your friends/family know when you are thinking about them and appreciate them, I also think it is important to identify the things you are thankful for in your life to help propel you forward. I am going to do just that! I am going to jot down some things that I am thankful for. Read on if you wish:
  • In the last 30 days I have ridden 150 mile and have logged 40 miles running. The beauty of keeping a training log is that you can look back and see what you have accomplished. I really wish I was better at logging my swimming, but if it isn't on my watch, it simply doesn't get logged. The good news is that the black cloud hanging over my athletic pursuits is starting to lift... 
  • Although this blog is primarily about my athletic pursuits, I like to think I am a fairly well rounded person. I like to be mobile and active but I also like live music, random unplanned days with friends, talking about the topics that you are never supposed to discuss with people... Basically, no activity is off limits for me! Over the past several weeks I have been to fairs, festivals, ice cream shops (a lot of them actually), friends porches, the zoo, out to dinner, had friends over for dinner, gone for walks. In the coming weeks I will go camping, do a triathlon, a friend may come and visit, log more miles on the bike, spend more mornings seeking the best breakfast destination for bacon. I just need to remember to order bacon. 
  • My pants are falling off me. In other words, I have lost 12 lbs over the past several weeks.
  • I love my dog dearly!!! As a matter of fact he is laying here with his head on my lap. He is somewhat sad because I did get four new pets this weekend. Hermit crabs are fun! I went to the fair with Lauri the other night, we were playing the ping pong ball game, you know the one, throw a ping pong ball in a fish bowl, win a fish, except this game was win a hermit crab. One of our balls landed in a bowl and now I am the proud owner of Crabby, Hermi, MS and Punk. Sue helped me pick out shells and the three additional crabs today! The crabitat is set up and they are all settling into their new home.
  • I ran my first 5 plus mile run since the half iron man yesterday. It was hard but we did it! I wanted to quit but Sue wouldn't let me. I even made it up the effing hill!
  • A couple of years ago, I wrote a blog post about a theory that states you are a combination of the five people you spend the most time with. I really appreciated the theory at the time because it made me recognize that I had some pretty awesome people in my life. In recent weeks I have reacquainted myself with this theory and took another look around to again recognize that I have some very special people who I spend my time with; they know who they are... I would like to say that I am extremely happy that I get to share my experiences (both good and bad) with these people. 
I encourage everyone to take a moment to identify what you are thankful for, or simply let someone know you care! I hope all the people who are so special to me know that they are much appreciated. You are all the reason the black cloud is disappearing. 

Comments

  1. Life is good... Good friends, good food (bacon), baggy pants, physical accomplishments, a great dog, new pets.. What more could one ask for. You are blessed. Thank the Lord!
    PS..Know that you are a blessing to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent reminder to look at the positives. Sounds like life is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte