Skip to main content

Who Inspires?

Everyone is inspired by different things and people, which is natural, because let's face it, if we all liked the same things, life would be pretty boring. While watching all of the people who went out to see an Olympic Athlete in Columbus this week, I learned that I am absolutely not inspired, nor interested, in spending my time going to see a professional athlete who has spent her life as a career runner. Career runners just don't do it for me. Is it cool that they are fast enough to run in the Olympics? Yep. Is it cool that they have won several marathons? Yep. Is it cool that they traveled the world? Yep. But watching career runners, who spend their life chasing after the fastest finish line, simply doesn't do anything for me... If it does something for you, enjoy the experience!!!

So, what/who inspires me? Well, let me tell you...

Kayla Montgomery - HS runner who has MS - This is a girl who doesn't hold back. She runs despite the difficulty she experiences post run. She was diagnosed with MS in her HS years, at which point she decided to join the track team. She amazingly was one of the fastest runners at her HS, even her state. People claim she had an unfair advantage because she couldn't feel her legs while running, but I would argue that those same people simply couldn't handle they were beat by a girl with MS.

Dick Hoyt - Retired military man who makes triathlons possible for his son - He has a son who has cerebral palsy. His son wanted to be a runner, and Dick took up the sport so that he could push his son during races, thus allowing him the experience. Over the years, Dick's son wanted more, and so Dick took the leap and began training for marathons, triathlons, even ironmans. He had no personal motivation, but instead a selfless motivator, his son.

Rose, Liam, Toby - My little people - These three kiddos have taken on running and/or swimming at the ripe young ages of 12, 10 and 8 respectively.

Sue and Chris and Janell - My various buddies - Well, let's just say Sue puts up with me for miles on end, whether running or cycling. But the real thing that inspires me about her is that she pushes relentlessly through, even when times are tough. Chris has been a bit of a silent cheerleader for me, and an active cheerleader for her local people. She is a sports enthusiast, who will take on, even a half ironman. I've admired her athleticism for yours. And then there is my sister Janell. She is is at every race, especially those that support her friends, and their families. The thing about all of these three ladies is that they are not out to win the race, but experience something new and simply better themselves with their athletic pursuits.

Katy - One of my colleagues - This woman can swim! Not only can she swim, she has accomplished feats that many of us only have nightmares about. I think of swimming the English Channel and I envision swimming in a pool treadmill that NEVER stops. She thinks of swimming the English Channel and says 'why not'? And so that is what she has done.Although she proves to be one of the most accomplished athletes I know, she is still always there to lend a hand to the new participants in her sport. Not judgement, just acceptance.

That girl who crossed the finish line LAST! Gasp, yep, she is more inspiring to me than the person who crossed the finish line first. The runners who lead the pack are fantastic; most are supportive, some stick around to cheer on the final athlete, they want to share the excitement of their sport. Unfortunately, there have been a few middle of the packers, who have decided that back of the packers are lazy, not interested in training 'their way' which is apparently the right way, shouldn't 'dumb down' their sport. Those back of the packers inspire me even more, because they literally have to run through some of that negativity; and they do it.

I guess what I am saying is that the humble, kind, dedicated athletes, who have either dealt with adversity or are real humans that infuse their athleticism in their lives, are the people who do, and will always inspire me!

Need a little inspiration? Go and watch of of these people at their swim meets, runs, triathlons, and you will officially understand why they inspire. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte