Skip to main content

Auntie Sarah's Incredible Gobble Gobble Home Grown 5k

The medals
In my opinion, there is nothing better than a little running prior to indulging in a huge Thanksgiving dinner! In my opinion, there is nothing worse than paying 40 bucks to run a race, prior to indulging in a huge Thanksgiving dinner... In this situation, what is one to do?

Here are the various options...

Don't Run! I mean, is it really that important to get a bit of exercise in prior to eating? There are so many things that have to get done on Thanksgiving, that honestly, there really isn't enough time in the day to cook a turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries AND set the table, AND clean the bathrooms, AND do the dishes, AND make appetizers, AND run a race... Or is there? Well I can't answer this question because I typically don't do that much stuff, but my mom does...

Run alone! Why would one do this? All the family and friends are around, and so it seems silly to spend time alone. In this case, it might make sense to go back to option one, and just stay at home. But even still, if you are interested in getting that exercise in prior to a big meal, you have to do something, right? And so there is option three...

Run with a family member! Now we are talking. Someone with a personality like mine, would much prefer spending time with others than run alone, so why not take a family member along for a quick run. The problem is that it is easy to cancel last minute because you get caught up in the chores associated with option one. Those messy bathrooms can easily trump exercise.

OR you can...

Arrange a 5k for Friends and Family!!! How much fun would it be to arrange a 5k for family and friends? Something totally free, you can not cancel, you can hand out home made medals, eat home made snacks and enjoy every person who shows up and finishes the race.

So what did I do this year? I arranged Auntie Sarah's Incredible Gobble Gobble Home Grown 5kThis race was totally free for those who chose to participate, it was timed (if you chose to bring a watch to time yourself), there was water on course, lots of cheers for family along the way, a local nonpartisan city official handing out medals, oh and the medals were all hand made by the race director. There were even amazing spectators who came out to cheer us on, and take pictures.

To say this was the perfect 5k would be an under statement. We had the perfect participants, the perfect course, the perfect support, the perfect range of participants, and the perfect time together in the end. I honestly can not say enough about this particular event. Here's to future Gobble Gobble 5ks!!!

Me, and our local celebrity

The Brady Crew

The best spectator!

The race crew, pre-race.

The fantastic ladies!

Another finishers photo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte