Skip to main content

From Thinking to Doing

A Cloudy Day in Wisconsin

Last you heard from me on this blog I lived in Ohio. In the last year I left my people in Ohio to start a new adventure in Wisconsin. I love Wisconsin, I love my job, I love my life but I desperately miss my Ohio people.

So where to start? Well, I think it important to reflect on the last 9 months so you can understand my journey back to the blog. Last year I was training for the Chicago Marathon and I was travelling a ton leading up to the Marathon. I was fortunate to be in DC because my sister was willing to do a lot of my training with me. The week before the marathon I had very significant symptoms of a gallbladder attack and my doctor told me I was alright to go for it, run the marathon. As I was walking out the door to drive to Chicago for the marathon I received a phone call offering me this job in Wisconsin. Let's just say it was an interesting drive that started out with me saying there was NO way I was going to take the job, to half way through the drive calling my new supervisor to accept the position. I am not going to unpack all of that story here, but I do have to say I'm glad I came, but am sorry for some of the missteps I made along the way to get here.

Anyway, in regards to the marathon, I crossed the finish line to some of the best supporters. Unfortunately, it was a hot day, and although I got a medal and crossed the finish line before they shut it down, my time was still too slow to be an official finisher.

Then came Thanksgiving, about 9 day prior to starting my new job in Wisconsin gallbladder pain struck again, so bad that I went to the emergency room. They admitted me, kept me overnight and then sent me home to pack my house and head to Wisconsin. I got to Wisconsin, started my job, loved everything about where I was living, went to the emergency room TWICE for my pain and eventually found a doctor who advised me to have the darn thing removed. That is just what I did...

I felt great, until I didn't. Again, I don't want to unpack this whole story here, but let's just say I had a nice ambulance ride to the hospital, was admitted, and made myself at home with IVs and heart monitors all around. My godmother stayed with me until my sister showed up. My sister stayed in the hospital with me and then finally took me home. We decided to go house hunting with my realtor the day after I got out of the hospital and I was suddenly in contract for my charming little house.

So many little stories to tell along the way, but I basically spent four full months on the couch because I wasn't allowed to do any major activity. Many pounds gained, registered for an MS ride, and scared to do anything physical. I have had to fight with myself to exercise...

I remember when I was first getting involved in working out and how hard that was. It was like pulling teeth to get myself to do anything. I would think about everything... Who is watching, how far do I have to run, am I physically able to do this, is it safe, etc. And then suddenly I was just doing it. I wasn't thinking about it, but instead getting home, putting on my clothes and walking out the door because it felt so good.

I also remember when I was first diagnosed with MS and I wrote something about enjoying the sidelines. My sister called or texted to tell me she was concerned about me and that I needed to remember I could still run and do other physical activities. I remember this call and have stored it in my memory knowing I would recall the conversation when I needed it.

Here I am, needing it...
Over the past nine months I have shifted from a doer to a thinker...

I have unpacked that memory with my sister and realized that I have a choice, and I choose to return to my life as a doer. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah I'm so glad that I am getting to know you better thru facebook and now your blog. You have such a great support system with family and friends. With that support and your courage to follow through has been an inspiration to other people with MS. You are an amazing strong woman and even in the tough spots where others may have given up completely, you worked throught it and did show up and got it done. I love how you can laugh at yourself. Keep your head up high and enjoy living the life that God has given you. You are truly blessed with love from all who know you, which includes me. Love you Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure why it said unknown. Alice

      Delete
    2. Oh Alice, so kind of you. I wouldn't be who I am without role models like yourself. So glad Aunt Johanna brought you into our family!

      Delete
  2. You are the reason I knew I too could run marathons. And you continue to inspire me (and others) as you face each obstacle. I trust you will figure this out the way you have figured out everything else along your crazy path. You know what to do. I'm cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Nita!!! I've always appreciated your support, and an always cheering you on as well!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to see this post. You have always been a doer, and I have no doubt you will be one for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte