Skip to main content

Confessions of a Cranky Runner

Have you ever tried figuring out the difference between the words moist and damp? I have. How about often and frequent? Yep, had that conversation too. I have actually spent countless hours trying to answer these questions much to some of my friends' dismay. As a matter of fact, I had this conversation TWICE while running this past week.

Running is my therapy. I've said it before and I will say it again, going out for a run puts me at peace after particularly challenging days. I work hard, play hard and run hard. Sometimes when I get myself into living overload, meaning I am not taking time to relax, even running can seem less therapeutic, but a couple hours later? Well, that is when I find my peace, it just takes longer.

This week I was a fairly cranky runner. I would show up, run silently or tell stories or argue over a simple word for the sake or arguing. Someone told me that I sometimes say things just because I need to disagree not necessarily because I actually disagree. Who, me? If my mom is reading this, she is probably chuckling right now because she knows how true this statement can be...

I have read a lot about how you know you are overtraining. I can tell you for certain that I am not currently over training as I'm only averaging about 18 miles a week but I am starting to wonder if the signs of overtraining also apply to life in general. Some of the signs of overtraining include:


  • Heavy legs - Now this is one sign that can only be related to running but it manifests itself by making your legs feel like bricks.  
  • Chronic muscle aches - This manifests itself as, you guessed it, muscle aches that don't go away. I can relate this to life! I know when I am having sensory overload when I turn the radio off in the car. That is my sign to take a day off and go off the grid. I actually did this on Wednesday this past week. Aside from my run I didn't interact with people at all because I simply needed peace!
  • Lack of enthusiasm or mood swings - When I am feeling overwhelmed with life I get road rage and am uncommunicative. I have heard that over training can lead to anger/crankiness and often can be identified through aggressive behavior, disinterest in running or being argumentative. Hmmm... I may have had a little of that in me this week. 
  • Change of sleeping pattern - When I have a lot going on I can find myself getting very little sleep and then crash when I finally have a moment free. As it is related to over training, sleeplessness is a sign of over training.
Relating this to every day life is enlightening. I guess it isn't only running that we sometimes need to step back from simply to get some rest. All of these signs have been present this past week ESPECIALLY the crankiness.


So why am I really writing about this? Well, the sole purpose of this post is to apologize to some of the friends I run with. I was cranky this week and because they are so kind and almost like family to me I sometimes forget that they aren't required to like me after I am cranky with them, like my mom is. But at the end of the day, they forgive me too.

Like acknowledging you are over training, it is also important to acknowledge when you need to apologize... 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte