Skip to main content

The Training Plan

What does my training plan look like for the summer? Quite frankly, it is terrifying... I thought training for the half iron man was tough, and it was, but I would say this schedule rivals the half marathon schedule I followed. Why you might ask? I'm only training for a 175 mile 2 day bike ride, right? Wrong... Sure, the bike ride is the highlight of the summer events, and what I am focusing most of my energies on, but I also want to stay 10k ready through the summer, and I'm doing the swimming leg of an Olympic distance triathlon with a couple of friends as a relay.  I'm not guaranteeing I'll be able to hit EVERY workout, but I plan to try!

I have been accused of not sharing the training schedule with my friend/training buddy because I don't want her to see what she signed up for, and there might be some truth to that, but I'll tell you what, we are going to feel so accomplished at the end of this summer!

You might ask, what is truly in a training schedule, and for every person it is totally different. For some, it may include speed, endurance and cross training, along with a nutrition plan and strength training. For me, on the other hand, it includes running, cycling and swimming. My nutrition plan is very simple, eat when I'm hungry, and enjoy my Sunday ice cream. The strength training includes lugging my laundry to my bedroom from the basement. I'm simply not as structured as some folks, but that is OK.

Here is an example of what can happen even if you do the training thing right... This week I fueled properly for my 11 mile, turned 9 mile run. I ate the pasta, I drank the water. I did my midweek runs and got a lot of rest prior to Saturday. Basically, I did everything 'right'... And then I woke up to pouring rain and 100% humidity... No nutrition or training can prepare you for that type of running misery. Now, I admittedly am being totally dramatic, but my point is, nothing can truly prepare you for event day. All you can do is follow your schedule and hope to god, it all works out.

So, what exactly does this first full week of training look like for me? Here is the schedule:

Monday: Swim 1500 m, run 3 miles
Tuesday: Rest Day
Wednesday: Bike 1 1/2 hour, run 3 miles
Thursday: Bike 1 hour, run 3 miles
Friday: Bike 1 hour, swim 1500 meters
Saturday: Run 11 miles, Bike 20 miles
Sunday: Bike 35 miles

As I said, that schedule about makes me sick to my stomach, and it will lighten up once the half marathon is over... But the goal is to make Pedal to the Point a much more pleasant experience than the run I stumbled through on Friday. The only way I can adequately prepare, is to get on my bike and start peddling!

To donate to one of my team mates, find their donation links on this blog post: http://couchtoathlete-sarah.blogspot.com/2014/02/introducing-team-were-mess.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte