Skip to main content

The 91.5 Mile Ride

72 Miles Into the Ride
This week I was blessed with two friends who filled in when my training buddy and friend wasn't available. Susan and I went out for almost 20 miles yesterday, and Laurie and I went out for 20 miles today. I didn't ride ALL the miles I planned because I opted for much needed sleep, but it was AWESOME to spend some time with some awesome friends.

I think I mentioned that Sue and I rode 91.5 miles last Saturday. It was quite the ride!!! Of course there were tears, as that seems to be my trend lately, but there was also laughter, silence, talking, and lost money.

When we go out for these rides, we always take 'lunch money' with us. The idea is to ride to a half way point, get some much needed food and then ride on. Well, last week was no different. I threw 40 dollars in my back pocket, fussed around with stuff for a bit before we started riding, and then we took off. We rode about 35 miles, when we decided to stop for lunch. Our server brought us some sandwiches and potato salad, followed by desert and regular coke for me. The server then brought the bill, at which point I noticed my $40 was gone, nowhere to be found. Some might say I was trying to get a free lunch out of Sue, but Sue knew better than that, I think...

Anyway, we hopped on our bikes with the intentions of making it five miles further, turning around and then stopping again, in Loveland, Ohio for some Italian ice (I swear, riding does come with its perks), however, as we were nearing our turn around point, I asked Sue if we could go to the next town. I mean, who wants to turn around in the middle of nowhere? Sue agreed, because I promised the town was only three miles. Well, that is where the first fail appeared. We rode on, and the next town didn't appear for five more miles, which meant, by the time we were done, we will have ridden 90 miles. Oh, and the town was so anti-
climactic that Sue made some comment about how well worth it those last five miles were. Whoops... I knew at that moment, we should have turned around at 40.

We turned around and headed back to the car, only 45.75 miles to go! We decided the Italian ice place was our next stop, and rode on. We both ordered the medium Italian ice which was almost as big as our heads! It was so delightfully delicious, and the perfect snack to get us through about 12 more miles.
The Best Dr. Pepper EVER

This is the point at which we both started to slow down. The Italian ice did the trick, fueled us for awhile but we had over 50 miles on our bikes at this point, and we knew we had 40 more to go! We stopped again at 72 miles to try and find my 40 dollars, because we were both convinced I had dropped it at that stopping point on our way out. Much to my dismay, the $40 dollars was nowhere to be seen, and so we rode across the river to get another snack, on Sue. Notice, at this point, Sue was funding my ride... At the snack stand across the river, we got the most delicious Dr. Pepper I had ever consumed. It was perfectly sweet, and went down like that light beer on a rough day after work, meaning very easily. We took our typical selfie and moved on to finish the ride. We slowed again...

We rode, and rode, and rode, and rode, basically in silence for the final 17 miles. I decided to teach myself how to ride without holding on to the handle bars, cyclists passed us, we passed cyclists, and then we saw the car. I honestly think both of us wanted to shed a tear because we finished the darn ride. My deal with Sue was that when we got to the car, she could leave her bike and I would pack everything up, after all, she funded my bike ride.

Sue got in the car, we drove in silence for about 25 minutes, until I was ready to talk (Sue was silent almost the entire ride home), at which point we planned our meeting time for the triathlon the next morning...

And so the story continued...
The Finish Line Pic

Comments

  1. What? You rode 90 miles when you had a triathlon the next day??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte