Skip to main content

The Five Mile Meltdown

Whenever I am in doubt about my blog topic for the week something presents itself and fills in the blanks very nicely. Well this story isn't so nice but the learning opportunity I'm sure will be nice...

My running buddy and I went out for our long weekend run. We both admitted within the first mile that we were hoping the other person would cancel. We both have huge amounts of pride and wouldn't cancel just to cancel. We both admittedly need a very good excuse like lightning, major illness, car accident etc. as our excuse before we would even consider cancelling on the other person.

We were running, I was in a negative place making comments such as this run sucks, I can't find my groove. On top of it we both kept checking our watches or ipods respectively to see where we were in our run. We were melting down, well actually I was melting down. We got to the turn around point for our run when I told my running buddy to go on. I started walking and promptly the tears began to fall. It reminded me of the time I was skiing with my brother and sister on a "hard" run (which mind you would not even be notable at this point in my skiing career) and they were trying to give me instruction. They were getting frustrated, I was getting frustrated and I told them to leave me. They did just that and it has provided us a very funny story to share with people from time to time.

Anyway, I was walking, crying and beating myself up because I couldn't find my groove. I started thinking about the movie Top Gun. Now where that came from is 100% beyond me. I kept thinking of the scene when Maverick had lost his friend but had to go into combat. Maverick was keeping up and then all of a sudden disengaged. He was talking to himself trying to find meaning after such a tragic loss of his friend Goose. While watching the movie you can see the moment Maverick regains his confidence and reengages in the fight. Ultimately Maverick saved the day AND the Top Gun anthem starts playing. You know the scene, it is the one in which my Dad turns the volume up on the TV as loud as possible so you can experience the moment, not just watch the moment.

The soundtrack started playing in my head and I started to get back in the 'game'. Now I was seriously in the depth of all depths you will inevitably encounter during a training regimen. My mind was all over the place. I was thinking about how upset people get when their team loses the Superbowl, how sports commentators can sometimes be heard saying it as if 'they' (meaning the team) didn't show up today, the Olympic athlete who will never be able to truly win but finishes anyway. I was trying to figure out how you get through those moment, where do you find the strength...

And then it happened I kicked it up a notch and told myself I am not a wuss. In runners world magazine this week one article featured a runner who wants to compete in the marathon of all marathons, otherwise know as the Olympic marathon. The article talked about how she wanted to go as a competitor not JUST a participant. I didn't understand that statement until I broke down today...

We are all competing against something when we sign up for an event. Whether we want to be first, cross the finish line or beat our last time. The only way we can 'compete' is by facing our fears, failures and disappointments and learn from them.

Ultimately I had a meltdown that included mind games, big fat tears and terrible pain. I did not give up. I faced those fears, fought those fears and I conquered!

Comments

  1. I would rather have runners trots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up Janell!!! Me too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't like it don't do it. Find another sport, form of exercise which you can truly embrace and enjoy as your own.. Mine happens to be shopping and running through airports for flights I am trying to make in high heels with a 50lb back pack strapped to my back... Either way- the main point is to have fun!!!! Maybe you should take up shopping like me:)
    HAHA- XO- Jill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte

Social Media and Athleticism

***I am going to use some terminology that might be offensive to some, Sorry! Also, this is a bit of a rant so read on if you wish... This is also probably going to make me seem OLD!!!*** Isn't this the truth!!! It is a rare occasion, anymore, to have a conversation with a friend that doesn't include at least a brief mention of Facebook. Daily Mile is creeping up to be of similar stature with the running crowd. I have been analyzing the impact of social media on my life for some time. Many smart (and not so smart) people have conducted studies on the psychological impact of social media on humans. Like any research, you can find a study to match any position you would like to take on this issue, I am going to be the guinea pig for this post though! So, in my case I gave up regular use of Facebook back in December. I now have, what I call, Facebook Sunday. Every Sunday I allow myself unrestricted use of Facebook and I can honestly say that I probably spend no more th