Skip to main content

Runners Trots

Ever heard that term before? Nope I didn't either...

I was contemplating whether I would blog about this problem or not because it is kind of a sensitive issue and I don't need every person knowing what is going on with my body, however I have learned that not enough people are talking about this problem...

So now you may be wondering what I am even talking about. I'm talking about Poop, people!!!


Perhaps I should buy one of these bags!
Oh and this is a 100% REAL product.

First I want to point out that there are always TONS of porta potties along race courses and I now understand why. My running regimen has amped up a bit over the last few weeks. Last week I ran about 15 miles, this week I will run 21 miles, and the mileage is only going to increase throughout the year. While out for my four mile run last week I had to take a side trip to the bathroom. The next day (3 miles) same thing. Then again the next day during a short 2 mile run. There is nothing more frustrating than having great momentum and then having to stop because you have to go the the bathroom.

I thought my problems were over today and simply attributed it to being off my game last week and not being 100% healthy, but the problem came back during my 5 miler today. Luckily I didn't have to divert to a bathroom mid run, but I certainly tried to get into the LOCKED public bathroom at about 4.5 miles. I called my sister to talk about this and she told me it is a common problem that happens to a lot of people. I couldn't believe it because when I talk to runners they talk about their achy joints, sore muscles, their runner's high, sore backs, boast about mileage in a week, and the list goes on. No one openly talks about the achy stomach, the rumbly intestines, the yearning for intestinal relief or the mad dash to the bathroom at the very end of a run, or the poop...

Well here I am talking about it. I am dealing with it and really need to figure out how to relieve this issue. My on-line 'research' has provided me with some strategies to fight this problem. In no particular order I have learned the following may help runners trots:

1) Stay hydrated
2) Avoid high fiber foods
3) Don't eat immediately before a run
4) Avoid dairy before a run
5) Take Imodium 1 hour before the run (although this should be in consultation with a doctor)

Let us all be real here, we all deal with some type of struggle and this is me being real. Over the next week I am going to try out these strategies and keep you posted on what works for me. If you have suffered from what I am now calling 'the trots' please share your tricks, I'm sure there are others reading who can benefit!!!

Comments

  1. I'm so laughing about this post! There will be no skeletons left in your closet when this year ends. This same thing happens to me during retail therapy. Running? Shopping? Is there any conection?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte

Social Media and Athleticism

***I am going to use some terminology that might be offensive to some, Sorry! Also, this is a bit of a rant so read on if you wish... This is also probably going to make me seem OLD!!!*** Isn't this the truth!!! It is a rare occasion, anymore, to have a conversation with a friend that doesn't include at least a brief mention of Facebook. Daily Mile is creeping up to be of similar stature with the running crowd. I have been analyzing the impact of social media on my life for some time. Many smart (and not so smart) people have conducted studies on the psychological impact of social media on humans. Like any research, you can find a study to match any position you would like to take on this issue, I am going to be the guinea pig for this post though! So, in my case I gave up regular use of Facebook back in December. I now have, what I call, Facebook Sunday. Every Sunday I allow myself unrestricted use of Facebook and I can honestly say that I probably spend no more th