Skip to main content

Torture (trash) or Treasure

Doesn't that snow look delightful? 
As the depths of hell, or what I might think hell feels like, descends on Columbus Ohio I have been reflecting on whether my desire to run/be an athlete is a personal treasure or torture. This morning I ran to work in the thickest humidity. I had a big bottle of water in one hand and a smaller bottle of G2 in my other hand. The water was half frozen when I departed on my journey to work, half way there it was thawed and warm. I kept pouring it over my head and saying to myself "why do I do this to myself."

Most things we do in life have either positive or negative ramifications. Every once in awhile something that is good for us may feel like torture but what you get in the end is a treasure. I am always baffled when people make decisions to continue torturing themselves when they know the end result is going to hurt. It pains me to watch people continue to walk into the same wall over and over again, when they have the choice to instead walk around the wall. Some people may read my posts week to week with the belief that I am torturing myself, but I can tell you what I am doing, even when I have a tough week like this week, the positive result my running has on my spirit is a gift that I will thank myself for throughout the rest of my life. If running was damaging my spirit in the long run or destroying my body and health I would put it down once and for all.
Heat index today? 110 degrees. Heat index in picture? 10 degrees

As I write this post I know that when I make decisions in my life I need to spend some time reflecting on how they are going to impact me in the long run. If the results are or continue to be torture with no positive benefit I need to make the decision to throw that idea away and move on to better things. If the results are going to be treasure I am going to embrace that decision/action and carry it with me through life, the trash is going to be thrown away and only reflected on for the lessons learned. Cheers to a healthy body and mind!!!

One of the things I promised when I first began this blog was to share funny stories from my journey. I am not sure the following story qualifies but I'll let you decide:

As I mentioned earlier I ran to work this morning. When I bike or run to or from work, I try to carry as few items as possible so as not to weigh myself down. The goal is to have a successful workout session.


Today I left my house with two bottles of water, a house key, twenty dollars, my drivers license and my bus pass. I got to work drenched in sweat, so much so that I left drips around me when standing on the sidewalk outside of my building (I know, I know TMI); that is how HOT it was this morning. I walked into my office, reached for my filing cabinet, which is where I keep my towel and other shower items, and realized the cabinet was locked and my big ole mess of keys was probably laying in the middle of my living room floor with the remaining articles I decided to shed this morning. After pacing the hall way for a few minutes cursing my forgetfulness I went in my office, grabbed the scissors and broke into my filing cabinet. I am not sure that cabinet will ever lock again but at least I smelled good today!!!

Comments

  1. yeah yeah yeah sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally read this post :D I hear ya on the smoking thing. I run so much better when I'm not smoking, but I'm having a hard time kicking the habit. Grrrr! One day at a time, I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte

Social Media and Athleticism

***I am going to use some terminology that might be offensive to some, Sorry! Also, this is a bit of a rant so read on if you wish... This is also probably going to make me seem OLD!!!*** Isn't this the truth!!! It is a rare occasion, anymore, to have a conversation with a friend that doesn't include at least a brief mention of Facebook. Daily Mile is creeping up to be of similar stature with the running crowd. I have been analyzing the impact of social media on my life for some time. Many smart (and not so smart) people have conducted studies on the psychological impact of social media on humans. Like any research, you can find a study to match any position you would like to take on this issue, I am going to be the guinea pig for this post though! So, in my case I gave up regular use of Facebook back in December. I now have, what I call, Facebook Sunday. Every Sunday I allow myself unrestricted use of Facebook and I can honestly say that I probably spend no more th