Skip to main content

It's Not Always Sunshine and Roses

Sunrise over Oman
I know I may, at times, make it sound like picking up a more athletic lifestyle is easy. Well I'm here to tell you it's not. This post is not meant to discourage anyone but instead acknowledge that it can be tough. At times you may run into people who think you are crazy or less than encouraging. When I run into these folks often, it can impact my mind and I may start to believe it.

Recently I was telling one of my biggest supporters about my desire to attempt a half iron man at some point in the near future, just to be met with skepticism. I honestly wasn't expecting it and was a little taken back. I realize the intensity and time it takes to train for any endurance sport takes persistence and is more about the power of the mind but if there was any time to take on the challenge it would be now when I am childless and enjoying the positive benefits of my new lifestyle. When I was faced with this less than positive statement I felt like I hit wall, a roadblock; and when my mind encounters a road block it can be very difficult to figure out which direction to move.

I haven't been feeling my best this week. I had a sore throat yesterday and was extremely tired today. I took a nap after work, which is unheard of for me, so I could go out an run 10 miles tonight. The 10 miles were less than stellar. I found myself running too fast in the beginning, slowing down to a walk many times during the run just to accomplish 9ish miles. During the run I was faced with discontent, frustration, sadness and doubt. If today was a battle between my mind and body, I would absolutely have to say my mind won. I cried, I stomped my feet, I pretended I was happy when I passed other runners, I beat myself up for stopping a few times. This time anthems never played in my head to get me more motivated (reference to my Five Mile Meltdown). The positives never appeared, instead I heard the voices of the less than supportive people saying that I am crazy, unbalanced, trying to prove something and the list goes on.

The reality is I am trying to prove something, everyone is crazy and unbalanced at times. Does this make me a bad person? Does this mean I shouldn't do it? Does this mean I am not going to hit the trails again on Friday? All this means is I need to keep battling the negative thoughts that are running through my head until I find the sunshine and roses again. I know they exist for me so I will not give up! 

Comments

  1. I love reading your blogs! Your thoughts relate to so much more than just running! You are right - don't give up! I was told yesterday to start patting myself on my back for the things I HAVE done - not beat myself up for the thinking I haven't done enough!!! Keep it up Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte

Social Media and Athleticism

***I am going to use some terminology that might be offensive to some, Sorry! Also, this is a bit of a rant so read on if you wish... This is also probably going to make me seem OLD!!!*** Isn't this the truth!!! It is a rare occasion, anymore, to have a conversation with a friend that doesn't include at least a brief mention of Facebook. Daily Mile is creeping up to be of similar stature with the running crowd. I have been analyzing the impact of social media on my life for some time. Many smart (and not so smart) people have conducted studies on the psychological impact of social media on humans. Like any research, you can find a study to match any position you would like to take on this issue, I am going to be the guinea pig for this post though! So, in my case I gave up regular use of Facebook back in December. I now have, what I call, Facebook Sunday. Every Sunday I allow myself unrestricted use of Facebook and I can honestly say that I probably spend no more th