Skip to main content

A Different Kind of Blog

With my awesome MS supporters at Pedal to the Point, a ride of BikeMS. 
I am an eternal optimist, and 90% happy. We all have moments of sadness, and some of us even bouts of depression; how you deal with your situation defines you as a person, in my opinion. One of the saddest things I have seen over the past year, since I have been diagnosed with MS is how people deal with this disease. I by no means have any right to judge another person's journey, but I can reflect on other peoples' journey and decide whether I want to apply some of their lessons, wisdom, statements, etc. to me.

One of my friends listened to me cry for about two hours last night. You see, I am a runner and it was too hot to run. What I didn't tell my friend is that I had significant physical challenges throughout the day, and didn't have any business running last night anyway. But the tears were all influenced by things that really don't matter when all is said and done! Or do they? I mean I cried about them...

In having this conversation with my friend, I talked to her about how frustrating it has been for me to participate in on-line support groups for Multiple Sclerosis and I see language that I perceive as so negative. You see, I am not a victim, and I don't believe that I am sick or that my life is any worse or better than anyone else's life, but I do know that my attitude carries me through every moment!

The things that triggered this conversation were two statements that I have read in recent months:

1) I have seen several people with MS state they are sick. I also had one person say to me "I'm sorry you are sick." Saying that MS = Sick has really challenged my brain. I honestly don't view people who have MS as sick people. I certainly know that we have different levels of progression that challenge us, but for me to say I am sick is almost like saying an amputee or a person born with a physical impairment is sick. Just something to ponder. I will unlikely say I am sick unless I have the flu, or some cold, or a terminal illness.

2) Another thing that has really challenged my brain, is my ability to immediately blame things on MS. I have thankfully gotten away from this, unless I'm joking with my good friend about my memory (I have a mind of a steel trap is what she says), but I steer clear of blaming MS for my regular life. The sad reality is that I have been a 'victim' of loss and clumsiness since I came out of the womb. Perhaps there is a medical reason for this, but I didn't have a medical reason losing my keys and cell phone all the time since I began to drive and got a cell phone, until last year? Not likely!!! Unless something truly impacts the function that I am used to today, or even a year ago, suddenly, I simply need to accept it as me being me. There is however a very fine line of knowing when to get help when you have MS. For instance, when I lost my vision in my right eye last year? It was totally appropriate for seeking out help. When I fell off my bike because I didn't unclip my shoes from my bike pedals? I would call that pure accident.

Basically, my thoughts have been challenged, and I see some of this language and blaming as a barrier to my own recognition of my strengths, and I seek out positive outlets ALL over the place for my mental meandering with MS. Aside from one of my favorite bloggers, Dave, over at ActiveMSers, I have not found what I am looking for, and my friend challenged me to change that. Now, she didn't tell me to go and start a blog, but since I already blog, I figured it was a natural fit.

What do I plan to get out of this blog? I plan to express my positive opinions about MS and how it can/has been a blessing in people's lives. I'm going to talk about my journey and struggles. I believe, with every struggle, comes enormous life lessons that can positively impact a person's life. I want to share some of my less private stories (some things are left between me and the world, or the person I shared the time with), and share with people my journey, because although having MS has impacted and will continue to impact my life, the strength I have gained from this little diagnosis has been a gift.

What do I want you to get out of this blog? Well, whatever you want. I'm doing this for me, but my hope is people will find some positive energy as they are struggling with their diagnosis of MS. Oh, and my friends can laugh at my story telling a little more1

Come along for the ride. In the beginning I will commit to a post every other week, and see how that goes! Share your thoughts, your interests, your stories! In life we only have eachother to learn from...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte