Skip to main content

The Journey

These moments, make every journey worth it!
Have you ever had a moment in which you overreacted, and when you reflect on it, you realize it is triggered by something that happened years ago, but in the moment of your overreaction you take it out on the WRONG person? Yeah, I had one of those moments today, and man did it drive me all sorts of crazy.

When I start reflecting on my new goal events, right now it is Glass City Half Marathon, I wonder how in god's name am I going to be able to run 13.1 miles again? It is interesting that, right now, my mind reverts to those runs that have challenged my core recently, but not to the finish line of the marathon I ran, or the half iron man I participated in. This is something I need to work on.

The reality is, every time you create a goal for yourself, there are different factors that will likely influence the
outcome, whether you want to admit it or not. Reflecting on the fact that I completed a full marathon may not even be appropriate because my circumstances have significantly changed. With the Glass City Half Marathon, I have already started planning my time goal. That is not normal for me, because quite frankly, finishing any event I register for is the most important. I have had my share of DNSs and DNFs, and I know this won't be one of them, but it is still an interesting to consider the start line of that race.

Here's the thing... I preach that every day we have a choice, and that choice is ours. Do we choose to look at the tough moments and have them define our attitude? In this instance, should I really look at the tough 2 mile runs as of late, and make a determination that that start line is impossible? Or do we let our attitude define the tough moments, and with this race, recognize that I can do anything I put my mind to, except when I can't because of REAL limitations? I strive to be the person who lets my attitude run my life, and I choose a positive attitude, but I'm human. Sometimes life simply doesn't follow a straight line, and we lose sight of what is important. Again, do we let that define us? Or do we make an effort to do better next time we are faced with an unexpected turn. Today was a day that I almost let that turn impact my every move for the rest of the day. Luckily, I have a good friend who knows how to straighten me out, but not until I declared why I WAS RIGHT!!!!!! Was that conversation even necessary? Probably not from the periphery, but had I not had the conversation, I would likely not have recognized why I had the initial reaction I had.

At the end of our bike ride today, my ever loving, caring, important and fearless cycling partner and friend told me that she enjoyed the ride, at which point I responded, so did I. Although I struggled with an interaction with a stranger on the trail, I didn't let it ruin the memory of the bike ride.

I am going to learn from all of this. Two weeks ago I rode 175 miles in two days, and that was huge. Today I rode almost 30 miles, and that was huge. Last year I did a half iron man, and that was huge. Today I finished helping my friend hang a door, that neither of us thought we could do, and that was huge. Next spring I am going to run a half marathon, and that will be huge. Why are all of these things huge, when it appears one thing might be bigger than the other? Because my attitude will allow me to love an appreciate EVERY big and small part of the journey, and because the circumstances that influence this journey will be different than the circumstances that defined all the other journeys.

And so I leave you with a song from, who else? Journey. One of my favorites, that I belted out in the car today, for all passengers to appreciate!!! (You likely can not watch this video on a mobile device)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Multiple Sclerosis

One of my favorite bike rides ever! I have debated whether I was going to make this public for quite some time, however there really aren't any significant reasons why I wouldn't share. It hasn't impacted my life dramatically, and if I'm lucky, it never will. I also don't want to be a poster child, nor do I require or want any special treatment simply because I have MS. The thing is, I know more and more people who are impacted significantly by this disease and I feel compelled to help the cause. So for one purpose only, I am outing myself. Here's the brief story. Two years ago my tongue went numb, my arm went numb and I though I slept funny or had a mini stroke. I brushed it off as sleeping funny day after day, after day. Then my eye started twitching, among other symptoms. I decided I was simply crazy... After a while all of these symptoms became so infuriating so I went to the doctor. While at the doctor, he chalked it up to stress, but after a closer

All in a Day's Work

I don't even know how to begin this post... Several months ago, my sister had this bright idea to do her first half iron distance triathlon. I have always wanted to do one so I told her if she did it I would do it too. Next thing I know I was clicking register now on the registration page of the Highcliff Triathlon in Wisconsin. You can read about some of the reactions I received when I announced to various friends that I was going to do this race here . Over the months my friends have taken on the challenge of being supportive and cheering me on along the way. This was no easy feat as I was on the training roller coaster. As the day approached, I thought about all of the possible things that could go wrong and right. I had visions of myself standing on the side of the bike course with a flat tire, me holding on to a lifeguard boat, dreams about wearing clown shoes for the run, and on and on... I also day dreamed about the finish line, what it might look like, who would be the

Jumping the Gun!

This is a 'total' bonus post for the week. I highly recommend reading my previous post, to better understand where I am coming from. You can check it out here .  I am not going to go into details but my name and grandma have been used in a sentence TWICE the past two days. Seriously? Do I look or act that old??? I must... Perhaps it is all the pie making! I am a woman of my word (for the most part, we all falter from time to time) and I mentioned in my last post that there was a chance I was jumping the gun with my dramatic flare related to being sidelined! Well, sidelined I am, but maybe for less time than I initially anticipated. The doctor will tell me my plan in three weeks. The overarching goal? The Chicago Marathon!  While running the Columbus Marathon, last year, I was blessed with amazing spectators and also running companions during the race. One of my companions was my sister. Somewhere near mile 25 she took a picture of me STILL smiling. It isn't ofte