I created this blog for a number of reasons.
1) Two years ago I was participating in the Chicago Triathlon and a couple of things happened that day. I was cheering people on while "jogging" and at the end of the race a gentleman came up to me and gave me a hug, thanking me for providing him the motivation to finish the race. All I thought I was doing was distracting myself so I could finish the race.
2) The other thing; At the end of the Chicago Triathlon two years ago I talked with one of the folks who participated with our group and we both talked about how we wanted to do better the next year. Neither of us trained like we would have liked to, and our times were reflective of that.
3) Last year again during the Chicago Triathlon my time indicated I did not do what I could have done to improve my time. Three years prior I finished the race 15 minutes faster.
4) I do best when I am accountable to someone or something. Regardless of whether people read this or not, I will still update it once a week (or more if needed) because I am now telling everyone what my plan is.
5) Maybe someone else is in my position and would like the encouragement and motivation.
6) Lastly, I watch myself get overly motivated, have one or two great work out months and quickly slip back into watching too much TV and hanging out on my couch. This way I can spend some time in front of a different screen chronicling my anticipated success.
So here is what I am going to do, I'm going to share my stories, successes and failures, funny stories, and disasters. What I'd like my "followers" to do? Laugh, encourage, participate in an event with me, provide pointers, work out with me, convince me to participate in an event you enjoy, or simply read...
The events for the summer at this moment in time are as follows:
- Tourdecure, Westerville, OH
- Met Life Duathlon (relay with my mom), Tinley Park, IL
- Chicago Triathlon, Chicago, IL
I believe more 5ks and bike rides will appear over time, but that is what I have committed to at this moment in time.